Stainless steel crowns are used as an alternative to silver and tooth-coloured fillings. These strong metal caps cover the entire tooth and are hard to lose or damage. They have a smooth polished surface which makes them easy to clean and most last four years or more.
- may offer an alternative to removing a decayed tooth
- keep a space in your child’s mouth for a permanent tooth
- will fall out naturally when the baby tooth falls out
What happens after the crown has been applied?
After the procedure:
- your child may find that biting feels unusual but the feeling will return to normal in a few days
- your child’s gums may appear blue - this is due to the colour of the metal under the gum tissue
- it is important that your child brushes their teeth as usual, even if the gums start to bleed slightly
- Avoid giving your child sticky foods which may move the crown out of place.
Is tooth colored crown available?
Yes. Tooth coloured crowns are available, these are known as zirconia
- Provides best aesthetics
- Superior looks
- Extraordinarily tough
- Metal free
- 100% biocompatible